How to Install Flash Player in Tor Browser
Tor browser in one of the best way to access blocked websites easily in schools, colleges, and workplace. But if you started using Tor browser, then you came to know that it cannot play videos. This is because it doesn’t contain flash/Shockwave player in it.
When you visit any video sites like YouTube or any other flash-based sites you will be notified with an error message saying Install missing plugin. When you tried to install that plugin it still won’t play video. Wondering why it happens? and how to install flash player in tor browser? Before we go to this point let’s know what’s this Tor Browser is all about.
The first thing you should know about Tor Browser is, Tor is a free and open source for Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix, and Android. This browser is designed to protect your privacy. By default Tor browser doesn’t allow you to enable any plugins, this is because Plugins operate independently from Firefox and can perform an action on your computer that ruins your anonymity. So they disable all plugin by default and never recommend to install any plugin in your tor browser. But if you don’t care about anonymity and just want to unblock a blocked site, then go ahead and install any plugins you want. But installing and enabling flash player in tor browser is little tricky. I will show you how to do that.
Installing Flash/Shockwave Player in Tor Browser:
It looks like latest version (3.5)+ of Tor browser supports flash player without doing all the below steps. The only thing you need to do is install flash player on your Windows O.S, to verify installation follow 3rd step. Once you install flash player on your O.S, go and activate Flash Plugin on Tor browser by following 8th Step.
So to install flash player on your Tor Browser, you just need to follow 3rd and 8th Step in the below-given instructions.
1. Download and install Tor Browser Bundle
Tip: Tor site blocked? then you can download Tor via email: log in to your Gmail account and mail ‘email@example.com‘. If you include the word ‘help’ in the body of the email, it will reply with instructions.
2. Visit any Video streaming site like youtube.com you will see missing plugin alert. Install Flash player by clicking that alert.
3. Now locate where Flash player was installed on your computer. By default it will be installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash open that directory. If you didn’t find in this folder, then you have not yet installed flash player on your Windows Operating System. So go and install the flash player software first on your PC by downloading flash player here.
4. Next, open the tor browser folder. In my case, I have installed in C:\Tor Browser. Navigate to C:\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Data\plugins
5. Copy all the flash files which you have seen in step 2 and paste it in the location “C:\Tor Browser\FirefoxPortable\Data\plugins” folder
6. Now launch your tor browser and click on Tor icon which is located behind the address bar. In the drop-down menu select the Preferences option
7. Now in the Pop up menu select the Security Settings tab and uncheck Disable browser plugins (such as Flash) option and click ok
8. Now we have to enable Flash player plugin in tor browser. To do that, click on the TorBrowser drop-down menu at top left corner and select Add-ons options (or) press Ctrl+Shift+A
9. Next, in that plugin list you will see Shockwave Flash Now click Enable button and Restart Tor Browser.
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed Flash Player plugin on our tor browser to play video. Now open any flash based sites like youtube and start watching videos. But it doesn’t play video directly. Every time you open the video you will see a message saying “click here to activate the adobe flash plugin” click on that message to start playing video.