Error 651 with PPPoE connections in Windows [FIX]
When you try to share your broadband connection in windows OS you will see Error 651. The complete error message will look like
Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)…
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
If you’re getting this message then here is the solution to fix this error.
Background of Error 651:
You see this error only when you try to connect/share your broadband connection with one or more devices. It works fine if you don’t try to share your broadband connection.
This error comes because of the wrong configuration on your modem settings. In you modem configuration we have to enable the multiple device sharing options. This setting will be usually done by the internet service provider (ISP) with our system. If they have not done or configured your modem to share internet connection then here I will tell you the process how to configure your modem to share your broadband connection.
How to Fix Error 651 in Windows 7:
Recently I have taken BSNL (Internet service provider) Broadband connection, When I try to share the broadband connection with my Windows XP (desktop) and Windows 7 (laptop) it started showing error. After I called the BSNL officer to configure the modem to share the broadband connection on other devices. Here are the two solutions to fix Error 651.
Solution 1: Call your Internet service provider (in my case BSNL) to configure the modem settings to share Internet connection.
Solution 2: Fix yourself!. To fix yourself just follow the steps as shown below
Note: Before doing this remove all existing broadband connection which you have created before by going to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks
1. Open modem configuration Page, to do that open any browser in the address enter http://192.168.1.1/
2. It will ask the username and password (in my case admin and admin). If it is something different in your case then check the manual which comes through the modem
3. In the left-hand side, you will see some options, click on the Configuration tab. In configuration select Internet Connection
4. The Internet connection configuration window will display like this. But in your case, the last option will be bridge_0_35. You have to delete the option bridge_0_35 by clicking on the delete icon
4. Now below that you will see Add> button, just click on the Add> button you will be taken to next page fill the page will below details
PVC Name: ppoe_0_35
Service Category: UBR With PCR
Peak Cell Rate: 0
and then click Next> button
5. Now you will be in Configuration Connection Type page, here you select
Protocol: PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
Encapsulation Type: LLC/SNAP
and click Next
6. In the next page, you will be in the Configuration WAN IP Settings page, in that
select Obtain an IP address automatically
Check Enable NAT
and Add Default Route
then click Next
7. Now you will be in “Configure Broadband User Name and Password” page
Service Name: dataone (you can give any name)
Broadband User Name: Enter the username which is given by ISP (mostly landline number)
Password: Enter the password given by ISP
Confirm Password: Enter the same password as entered above
Session established by:
Select Always On to automatically connect to the internet on windows startup (no dialing needed)
Then click Next
8. This is the last step, just click apply.
Now open your browser on any of the PC (if you’re sharing the Internet) and start browsing. Now onwards you don’t need to manually dial to connect to the internet. It automatically connects on windows startup. I hope your search ends here for “Error 651”.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Join our newsletter for tech tips, reviews, guides, and exclusive deals!
My modem is DNA-A201BE-I , i do not have the manual so the login id and password are not admin , admin , it will be kind of you if you can guide me where i can find my log in id and password for my modem